Orientation and Investiture Ceremony
Orientation & Investiture Ceremony
A Time for New Beginnings. A Time for Celebration.
St. Jerome’s University welcomes all first-year students into its community with an Investiture Ceremony. All first-year students who are part of our community are invited to attend, including those co-registered with St. Jerome’s University and all who live within our residence.
Investiture is a formal ceremony that takes place within a Liturgy of the Word on the Sunday that concludes Orientation Week activities. Students vested in the traditional academic robes, are presented with a unique St. Jerome’s University pin denoting the start or their academic journey at the university. The experience is framed upon completion of their degree at a Graduation and Liturgy ceremony held at St. Jerome’s University.
The Orientation and Investiture Ceremony will take place Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 2 p.m. in the Humanities Theatre at the University of Waterloo. A reception will follow in the Academic Centre at St. Jerome’s University.
Information for Students
Following the ceremony a reception will take place back at the Academic Centre at St. Jerome’s University.
- Online registration is mandatory for this event. The form will be available below on August 1, 2017.
- Confirmation of your attendance at this event is required by Friday, August 25, 2017. Please use the form provided below to confirm your participation.
- Space is limited for this event to two guests per first-year student.
- Additional tickets may be requested on the RSVP form below, and may be dependant upon availability. First-year students who request additional tickets will be contacted with confirmation by Tuesday, September 5, 2017.
Arrival and Parking
- All students should plan to arrive by 1 p.m. Parking is available at St. Jerome’s University in Lot B for students who live off campus.
- Student should go directly to the gym at St. Jerome’s.
- Once you arrive, you will be given instructions regarding your gown, procession, and the class and house photos.
- Upon arrival at 1 p.m. students will receive information about gown pick up/drop off, the procession and the group photo. Academic gowns are on loan to our first-year students free of charge for this event. Dresses, dress pants, dress shirts, and ties are good choices to wear as they may appear under your gown.
- Students are asked to leave flowers, purses, phones, backpacks or other personal items with family members before going to the gym, as they are not permitted to be carried into the Orientation and Investiture Liturgy.
- A professional photographer will be present during and following the event to capture the ceremony and family photos in the Academic Centre. A class photo and individual House photos will also be taken following the ceremony. Photos will be provided to all students for their own use following the ceremony. Information regarding access to these photos will be sent to your uwaterloo.ca email address.
- Students attending the Orientation and Investiture Liturgy will process as a class back to St. Jerome’s following the ceremony. Once gowns have been returned, you are welcome to connect with your guests and attend the reception taking place in the Academic Centre at St. Jerome’s University.
Information for Parents
- Students are welcome to register your participation for this event. The online form will be available below August 1, 2017.
- Students are asked to identify how many guests will be attending this ceremony when they complete their online registration form for this event. A limit of 2 seats are available for each student that registers. Additional seating may be available following the registration deadline.
Arrival and Parking
- Parents are asked to arrive by 1:30 p.m. and go directly to the Humanities Theatre, located on the University of Waterloo campus. Student leaders will be available at all parking lots to provide directions to this location.
- Parking is available on campus at the University of Waterloo. Parking is available in Lot H (located directly in front of the Humanities Theatre) or in Lot C (located across the street from University Avenue).
- Parking is $5 per entry.
- A professional photographer will be present during and following the event to capture the ceremony and family photos. A class photo and individual House photos will also be taken following the ceremony. Information regarding access to these photos will be sent to your student’s uwaterloo.ca email address.
- We invite family members and students to join us for an informal reception in the Academic Centre at St. Jerome’s University following the ceremony.
Online registration will open August 1, 2017.