Already connected? Great! You’re ready to go!
New to St. Jerome's University? Welcome! To activate your eRezLife account, simply email Michelle.
Your full name
Your preferred email address
UWaterloo student number, and
That you are interested in applying for Beyond U.
For Spring Term Beyond U internships, the application dates are as follows:
Applications open: February 10, 2020
Applications close: March 9, 2020
Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Students working at Supportive Housing of Waterloo (SHOW) will work closely with the Executive Director (ED) as she manages SHOW. Opportunities include:
- Identifying granting agencies and completing grant applications
- Creating social media posts
- Working with ED on newsletters and content
- Covering reception office/responding to tenants as needed
- Helping plan special events for tenants
- Helping organize fundraising events
- Work with ED to ensure ongoing facilitation of fundraising and strategic plans
- Attending meetings as needed
- Propose and coordinate special interest projects as they relate to SHOW's mandate
The placement is a mix of all of the above and an amazing opportunity to learn about housing, homelessness, mental health, addictions, non-profit management, funding, research and policy work. To learn more about SHOW please visit www.showaterloo.org/
This project of the Working Centre is a unique community-based urban agriculture project located in Kitchener. It is a fully functioning market garden that offers an inclusive, hands-on learning environment to demonstrate, promote, and share knowledge about sustainable food production. Beyond U students will be involved in both in day-to-day operation and shaping its overall direction. Students will:
- Actively engage in the work of building a more sustainable community based food system, while also helping to build community while working with volunteers.
- Work alongside staff and volunteer gardeners to facilitate work tasks and crews to grow vegetables, flowers, and fruits, using a bio-intensive growing model on about 1.5 acres of land.
- Have opportunities to learn about practical models for growing, greenhouse management, soil fertility, crop rotations, pests and beneficial insects, plant pathogens, irrigation and water conservation, planting and nurturing crops using organic methods, as well as harvesting, preparing, and marketing vegetables, fruits, and flowers through a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) share program.
- Have opportunities to develop transferable leadership, entrepreneurial, educational, and organizational skills associated with active participation in a lively and diverse community-enterprise. The learning will be both “on the job” as well as self-directed and self-initiated.
For more information about the Working Centre Hacienda Garden visit www.theworkingcentre.org/hacienda
Engaging in the mentor program: buddy up with a student who is struggling with social skills, and spend time playing a game, talking, and developing a positive relationship; assisting with the student intramural program.
Engaging in the school's language and math programs: reading with students who a) require extra practice or b) do not have someone to read to at home for their daily reading; monitoring the home reading program books; assist with tutoring students who require extra academic support in language and/or math.
Supporting the coordination of the school's food and clothing programs: stocking food bins; locating and purchasing sale food items from grocery stores; delivering food bins to classrooms; organizing and sorting donated clothing.
Coordinating and running special interest clubs or workshops, including initiatives such as health promotion or leadership development.
Developing and promoting fundraising events in support of student programs.
Work alongside diverse colleagues to support workplace skill development
Actively build relationships based on reciprocity and mutual respect with all staff, volunteers, and community members
Support the day-to-day operations of the Cafe, including preparing and serving food, managing cash, cleaning, and other related duties
Participate, support, and/or facilitate community programs and events when appropriate