Student leaders at St. Jerome’s University (SJU) are essential contributors to a positive student experience and the overall SJU community. All student leaders promote an inclusive community and work collaboratively with other student leaders, staff, faculty, and community members. Student leaders at St. Jerome’s are committed to life-long learning, acting with compassion, seeking knowledge and truth, and advocating for the human dignity of all.
A student in any student leader role at SJU is:
- A full-time undergraduate student at the University of Waterloo
- Committed to academic excellence
- Able to commit to the contract length (4 or 8 month term)
- Able to commit 5-7 hours per week to the responsibilities of the role
- Able to attend position training and all necessary professional development
Please provide a Statement of Intent for the role(s) that you wish to apply for.
Before writing your statement, take a few moments to reflect on questions like the following. These questions are simply to guide your thinking and preparation. You may also choose to consider other reflections that speak to why you are choosing to submit this application. You do not need to answer all of these questions in your Statement of Intent. These questions aim to help guide your response!
- Why do you feel drawn to apply to be a student leader at SJ?
- What lessons have you learned that lend themselves well to this role?
- What have you learned about yourself during the COVID-19 pandemic that might support your success in this role?
- Why is being a leader important to you?
- How might you hope to influence the student experience in this role?
- How might you hope to grow in this role?
- What do you value about this role?
- What other things might you have to let go of if you were hired for this role?
- Student leaders have immense power and privilege in the SJ community. How might you use these to positively contribute to the student experience?
You will find it helpful to review the role description of the position(s) you are applying for. Please take a moment to read them through. They can be found here:
- Chief Experience Officer (CEO)
- Executive Experience Officer (XEO)
- Peer Academic Leader (PAL)
- Student Activities Team (SAT)
- Student Campus Minister (SCM)
- Relay for Life Co-Chair
Once you have spent some time reflecting, choose the questions or ideas that most reflect your experiences and reasons for applying to this role (i.e. do not answer all of the questions!).
Each written statement should be no more than 500 words. All applications are due on April 19th, 2021 by 8:30 AM. Interviews will be scheduled with selected applicants between April 27th and May 7th, 2021.