We’re glad you’ll be joining us next year as you begin your journey into University life. At St. Jerome’s Residence, we pride ourselves on providing students with a one-of-kind residential experience. With a combination of diverse residence life programming, opportunities to connect what you learn in the classroom with your residence experience, community service and experiential learning opportunities, we provide residents with a truly unique experience.
IMPORTANT: Please read this before you get started
Residence Contracts at the University of Waterloo and St. Jerome's consist of an eight-month contract comprised of two four-month academic terms. Students can choose to live in residence during the following term combinations:
Fall 2019 and Winter 2020; OR
Fall 2019 and Spring 2020
Please note that at this point, you are only confirming details for the first term (Fall 2018) of your eight-month contract. By confirming your Fall 2019 residency, you will also automatically reserve your space in Residence at St. Jerome’s for either the Winter 2020 term or the Spring 2020 term. We will contact you in the near future to confirm your rooming preferences for the second half of your contract (Winter 2020 or Spring 2020). Not to worry though, your space with us for all eight months will be reserved once you complete this process!
If you’re living away from home for the first time, you might be a little nervous about sharing your space with a roommate. You’ll be glad to know that our hand-matching process will increase your odds of a positive relationship. And you might also like to hear about the countless students before you who have found lifelong friendships in residence.
If you and your friend want to live together, we’ll try our best to have that happen. If you’re both offered a space in the SJU Residence, and you’d like to room with each other, both of you should indicate your wishes on the "Roommate Selection" tab of the Lifestyle Preferences Form. We’ll make every effort to grant your request.
Move in day for first year students is Sunday, September 2nd, 2018. We ask that you please arrive during your designated move in timeslot
Our first meal being a Welcome BBQ beginning at 5:00pm for our new first year students and Orientation Leaders. If you can't make it until after 4PM, don't worry, we can take care of your check-in when you arrive.
The Residence Office will contact all students at the beginning of August with more details surrounding move in day.
St. Jerome's Residence can be accessed only from a driveway off of Westmount Rd. North (you can't access SJU by vehicle from the Unviersity of Waterloo Ring Rd.). Once you arrive in our driveway, there will be volunteers waiting to direct your vehicle to your designated loading zone and parking area. Free parking is available on site during the day.
Should you be arriving with a trailer, please make advanced arrangements with the Residence Office as our laneway and turnaround areas are very limited.
- computer and printer
- back pack
- binders, paper, and notebooks
- pens and pencils
- stapler, scissors, ruler, pencil sharpener, three hole punch
- computer paper
- paper clips
Clothing and Laundry
- shoes suitable for walking
- laundry basket/bag + detergent/softener
- loonies and quarters!! ($1.50 per wash or dry)
Bath and Grooming
- shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, toothbrush/toothpaste, razor and other toiletries
- a container to transport toiletries to and from the washroom
- flip flops for the shower
- towels and wash cloths
- hair dryer
- hygiene products
Bedding and Decoration
- twin XL (single) size sheets and blankets
- photos of friends and family
- posters and room decorations (the Residence Office will provide students with approved adhesives)
Appliances and Electronics
- desk lamp (not halogen)
- automatic shut-off coffee maker or kettle
- power bar with a surge protector
- music and movies
- WatCard (if you have it already)
- health card
- bank card
- driver's license/other ID card
- snacks and drinks, water filter
- basic dishes - bowl, coffee mug, water glass, basic cutlery and dish soap
- bicycle and helmet
What not to Bring
- candles or incense
- halogen lamps
- heaters or heat lamps
- air conditioner
- cooking appliances (hot plates, toasters, rice cookers, microwaves, crock pots etc. are not allowed in residence rooms)
- your own furniture (University provided furniture cannot be removed from the room)
- pets (not allowed in residence)
- illegal substances, materials or weapons
There isn’t a lot of extra space in your room for suitcases and containers so collapsible duffel bags or boxes are best.