Essays written for any third or fourth year level course taught at St. Jerome's University or any University of Waterloo campus or affiliated institution may be submitted by students currently registered at St. Jerome’s University, Renison University College, or the University of Waterloo (Eligible for a $1,500 award)
Personal reflective essays written expressly for this competition by students currently registered at St. Jerome’s University, Renison University College, or University of Waterloo. (Eligible for a $500 award)
The writer of the course-related essay chosen by the Committee will receive $1,500. The writer of the personal essay chosen by the Committee will receive $500. The awards will be presented at the St. Jerome’s University Graduation Ceremony.
- An entry form must be included with each submitted essay.
- Students may submit only one essay for consideration per award year. However, qualifying students may submit entries in subsequent years.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right to forego the presentation of the awards if no worthy recipient is identified.
- Papers must not exceed 4,500 words (approximately 15 pages in length). There is no minimum length.
- To ensure an impartial review process:
- the student’s name, course number and professor’s name should appear only on the entry form—NOT on the essay itself;
- clean, unmarked copies must be submitted; and
- the student’s UW ID number should appear on the front page of the essay and as a footer on each page.
- Essays written for courses may be revised prior to submission.
- Personal reflective essays written expressly for this award competition must be identified as such.
- Copies of submissions will not be returned.
- Essays should have been written in 2017 or 2018.
- “Currently registered” means registered in spring 2017 and/or fall 2017 and/or winter 2018.
- Entries failing to meet these guidelines will not be considered.
Entries must be received no later than 1 p.m. on April 25, 2018.
Hardcopy submissions are preferred, but electronic submissions will be accepted.
Hardcopy submissions must be placed in the “Headley Senior Essay Award” drop box in the St. Jerome’s University Classrooms & Library Building (SJU1) outside the Library.
Electronic submissions should be emailed to Lorna Rourke, Librarian & Chair of the Headley Senior Essay Award Committee.
If submitting by email, please use “Headley submission” as the subject line. Please be sure to include a completed submission form with your entry.
The writer of the course-related essay chosen by the Committee will receive $1,500. The writer of the personal essay chosen by the Committee will receive $500. The awards will be presented at the St. Jerome’s University Graduation Ceremony on June 10, 2018.