The Well-Link Lab is located in the Department of Psychology at St. Jerome’s University. Research in the lab focuses on the mental health of emerging adults and the psychological variables believed to play an important role for success in post-secondary/tertiary education and subsequent school-to-work transitions.
The specific objectives of the lab are to:
- Advance research on the mental health and well-being of emerging adults
- Explore the social, cognitive, and health outcomes of emerging adults who are making school-to work transitions
- Develop interventions and initiatives that will produce more positive mental health outcomes for emerging adults with a focus on those in post-secondary/tertiary education
- Examine the role of experiential learning such as cooperative and work-integrated education on school-to-work transitions
- Communicate research findings and collaborate with researchers and institutions around the globe
Emerging Adulthood (as described by Jeffery Arnett) is a critical developmental stage when individuals aged 18-25 are transitioning from adolescence to adulthood. During this developmental period, individuals experiment with their identity to determine the type of person they will become. For many emerging adults, the journey involves attending university or college followed by transitioning to full-time employment.
This journey not only leads to increased autonomy but can also be a time of difficult personal, emotional, vocational, and social adjustments. Research indicates that emerging adults are particularly at risk for mental health issues – especially during times of transition such as into the university community and then out into the labour market. The overarching aim of our Research Lab is to engage in research that will improve the mental health and well-being of emerging adults during their post-secondary/tertiary studies and their subsequent transition to a competitive global labour market.
For information about the lab or if you are interested in joining our research team, please contact Dr. Maureen Drysdale or Margaret McBeath.
Well-Link Lab: Enhancing Student Mental Health and School-to-Work Transitions
Department of Psychology
St. Jerome’s University
290 Westmount Rd N, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G