St. Jerome’s #HeforShe Gender Equity Essay Contest
The St. Jerome’s HeForShe Committee is proud to announce the second annual SJU #HeforShe Gender Equity Essay Contest.
- $500 first place award and $250 runner up award.
- Application deadline May 1st, 2017
- Open to all SJU-registered students in any year or discipline
- Open to all UW students enrolled in SJU courses in any year or discipline
- Paper must have been written in spring or fall 2016 or winter 2017
- Paper may have been submitted for a course and revised
- Only one submission per student
#HeforShe is part of an initiative launched in 2015 by UN Women (http://www.unwomen.org/en) to advance gender equity and women’s empowerment. St. Jerome’s University and the University of Waterloo have joined this initiative and pledged to address issues of gender equity and serve as catalysts for change. This essay contest has been created to give students a voice in this initiative and to share their vision and insight into how we can meet the goals of the #HeforShe movement.
You may submit a paper written for a course that is relevant to the topic, or you can write an independent paper on gender equity. Below is a list of topics that may provide you with guidance regarding what constitutes a relevant essay for this contest. Please note that this list is not meant to be exhaustive: if you are unsure if your topic qualifies, please consult the St. Jerome’s HeForShe essay contest committee member listed at the end of this document.
- Gender and popular culture
- Women in STEM
- How men and women are harmed by sexism
- Digital inequity
- Intersectional inequity/equity
- What contribution can men and women make toward gender equity
- Gender and literature
- Historical areas and movements (e.g. early modern period, suffragettes, Black feminist movement)
- Technofeminism or digital feminism
- Women and work
- Gender and language
- Gender equity and religion
To find out more about this important initiative, please do visit the following sites:
Please be sure to carefully read the submission and eligibility guidelines listed below.
Essays submitted by students currently registered at St. Jerome’s University (SJU) or University of Waterloo undergraduate students enrolled in an SJU course.
- Submissions may be made directly by the student essayist or, with the permission of the student, nominated by a professor or course instructor.
- Senior’s honours essays and book reviews will not be accepted.
- The essay topic and content must be identifiable within the HeforShe context.
- Students may submit only one essay for consideration in any given academic year.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right to forego the presentation of the awards if no worthy recipient is identified.
- Papers must use a recognized academic style (e.g. APA, Chicago, or MLA format) and be no more than 15 pages in length including bibliography.
- Papers must be submitted electronically to this address: email@example.com. Papers will be anonymized before being circulated to the adjudication committee.
- The student’s UW ID number only should appear on the front page of the essay and as a footer on each page.
- The student’s name, course number and professor’s name should appear only on the entry form—NOT on the essay itself.
- Essays written for courses may be revised prior to submission.
- Essays should have been written in 2016 or 2017.
- “Currently registered” means registered in Spring 2016 and/or Fall 2016 and/or Winter 2017. The student should not have graduated before September 1, 2016.
- Entries failing to meet these guidelines will not be considered.
Entries must be received no later than Monday May 1st, 2017. Electronic submissions are preferred but hardcopy submission will also be accepted. Hardcopy submissions must be placed in the “HeforShe” drop box in the St. Jerome’s University Administration Building outside the Library. Electronic submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (as a .doc or .docx only)
Contact: HeforShe essay contest committee member: Professor Sara Humphreys (email@example.com)